- A pereiopod bearing a chela. [Chace and Hobbs, 1969]
- A pereiopod bearing a chela; in crayfishes, the first pereiopod. [Hobbs, Hobbs, and Daniel 1977]
- Any thoracopod bearing chela. [McLaughlin, 1980]
- Pereiopod bearing chela (see Figs. 13,14), in crafish literature applied almost exclusively to first pereiopod. [Hobbs and Jass, 1988]
- (Taxon-specific: Order Tanaidacea) Modified second thoracopod (= first pereopod). Typically consists of only five segments (basis, merus, carpus, propodus, dactylus), with coxa and ischium being absent. (chelate, subchelate; symmetrical, asymmetrical).
(syn. chelipede) [Stachowitsch, 1992]
- (Taxon-specific: Order Decapoda) Any chela-bearing thoracopod; typically refers to first pair(s) of pereopods. (equal, unequal: major, minor). [Stachowitsch, 1992]